Saturday, July 11, 2009

"How to Be a Stranger and a Pilgrim on Earth"

My good buddy in the gospel, AJ Gibson, recently gave the commencement address at the university he's taught at for the last 5 years (where I also ministered at for 2 years). He addressed the subject of "How to Be a Stranger and a Pilgrim on Earth" from 1 Corinthians 7:29-31. Of note in his address:

"Christians have wives and husbands and children and parents, etc., but should never have and hold them as if they were everything. My wife is the “wife of my sojournings” and my children are “the children of my sojournings.”
Therefore if any of these people whom I love and hold dear fails or disappoints me, my life will not end because God is my portion. 'Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever' (Psalm 73:25-26).
If God in his providence should choose to take any of them from me, I should be able to say 'The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.'"

I really appreciate this perspective from AJ because the last year and a half of his life has put this "creed" of his to the test.

Read more at A.J.'s blog here (and put it on your blogroll).

No comments: