Thursday, January 7, 2010

Praying through Scripture: An Idea...

I'd like to share an idea with you. It regards my inability and sometimes my sinful propensity to not prioritize my time to spend with Jesus in his Word and in prayer. Sometimes, lack of time to commune w/ our Savior isn't about inability or sinfulness. Maybe it's just providential circumstances that purposefully have squeezed out your regularly scheduled time. This, too, we must accept from the Lord with willing hearts not being super-pious thinking we have somehow let God down or those who "expect" us to be with Jesus regularly.

Today, I basically had about 5 minutes of undistracted time before I woke my son up to go to school. In that time, I read four verses from Colossians on my knees (again, not that it indicates anything of my personal piety). Then, I prayed through each phrase of this portion. That's it.

I might add that the "daily" things I pray for, I was able to pray through the grid of those four verses. This is just creative ideation and not at all meant to propose one method toward holiness. If anything, it's more like another way toward fighting for joy in Christ.

Suggested Reading about praying Scripture: A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers (by D.A. Carson)

No comments: